I know I'm not a member of the afternoon recipe club, but I'm married to one. Close enough. I had a few ideas about gnocchi after subsisting on leftovers for days after you all met at our house. (They reheat decently well if you happen to have cooked too many, by the way.)
Since they're just dressed-up potatoes, gnocchi go well with pretty much everything. You could match them with a host of entrees, as well dress them in almost any ethnic-cuisine trappings you can think of. My first impulse was to make it more Mexican/Southwest -- instead of the suggested sauce, I used a green salsa that we had made from tomatillos, onions, jalepenos, and cilantro. With the addition of some melting-gooey mexican cheese blend on top, I thought they were fabulous. I ate them as my lunch on two different days, but they'd be a great side to some sort of spicy fish, chicken, or even a black bean dish.
My other experiment was Asian gnocchi. We had a roasted red pepper sauce in the freezer that has lemongrass, peppers, onions, and a whole lot of rice wine vinegar. It was very good on the gnocchi, but I think a simple blend of soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar would be satisfying when drizzled over these things, too.
I have two more innovations that I want to try on the next batch we make. The first would be keeping with the Southwest theme by smothering the gnocchi in a roasted poblano cream sauce (roasted peppers, onion, salt, and cream or half & half -- all pureed together). Instead of boiling these ones, I think sauteing them in a pan is the way to go -- slightly crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and smothered in smoky cream sauce. I am pumped.
The second innovation will be additions to the dough. I've heard of spinach or herbs being added. Maybe something seasonal like sweet potato gnocchi could be a big hit as the weather turns cold.
Any other suggestions out there?
-Q
Sunday, October 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment